Skip to main content

Mental Health, What Can You Do As Managers?

Yesterday, I had a chance to talk with my member and as expected, he is struggling to cope with the pace of the project. The fast pace of this project and number of issues we are dealing everyday has caused him to question his own capability. I used to think like that before and of course I could relate to that. Luckily he reached out to me and I've advised him to proceed with his plan ie. to meet up with my GM and share his struggles. Honestly, I'm not sure how I could help him as I know the challenges awaits them whenever they decided to join this team. But as superior, what can you do to ease the process?

  1. Learn about mental illness - minimal thing you can do is to know how to spot early warning signs and manage stress. This at least will help you be more empathy and build the trust.
  2. Workplace stress is not a myth - Majority of cases I'm hearing recently, caused by work-related stress. Even today during our monthly safety talk, people posted about how their workload causing the stress and working from home somehow making this even messier. So, be supportive and don't discount stress causing from workplace as everyone has different stress capacity.
  3. Monitor your team performance - I'm not sure about others but whenever I notice my team slowly becomes silent during team discussion, I will quickly schedule a session with them. Why? Because sometimes people just don't want to bounce ideas anymore because they become absent minded.
  4. Create a safety environment - regular check-ins with your staffs could help to build a trust and mutual understanding. Work with the team to avoid social stigma about mental health.
There are lot more you can do to help but let's start with this first, okay?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enjoy Your Life, Broaden Your World...

Don't judge others by your own standards. ... perhaps the type who does better when praised.  What good is anything if you're dead?  If someone dies, there's another to replace him.  The basics of work is put yourself in others' shoes.  If you're reprimanded every time you do something, you'd feel like quiting.  We live in an era where we ought to respect everyone's different working style.  Moreover, it doesn't mean that people who don't take days off would definitely produce results.  When we were in school, we usually hang out with people with the same values, right? That's a good thing, but for work we have to cooperate with people who have totally different way of thinking, just to accomplish one thing. That's why it's interesting.  Don't be a person who exists only for the company. Enjoy life. Meet all kind of people. Broaden your world. The accumulation of such experiences will lead to good results at work. 

The Life of Gang-Tae

I've been following Korean series in Netflix called It's Okay to Not Be Okay . The pace might too slow for certain people but I can relate to the storyline. It's sucks to always be the perfect gentleman and suppressed all the emotions you have inside. That's the price you have to pay when people set a high expectation on you. I used to be like that and keep reminding myself to balance it out. I need to love myself before I could help others. Gang-Tae experience the same things like me I guess. Always felt unwanted and unloved. His existence merely just to take care of others. Therefore, he stopped to has expectation on others.  Last two years, when I was battling with depression, I used think there is no point for me to live anymore. If people just expected me to take care of them but let me take all the blames, then why should I be there for them. There is no more purpose for me to be around. I did stop having expectation on others but later, slowly I'm realise, th